Monday, November 4, 2013

I CAN.........except for maybe that

Yogis,

Many of you who were reading my blog last year may remember that at about this same time, while teaching the throat chakra, I lost my voice and ended up with a sinus infection.  Well last week, while teaching fire, I developed a fever and everything once again began to settle into my sinus cavities. 

It was uncomfortable.  But what was even more uncomfortable for me was having to admit that I was sick and cancelling a few classes.  I believe that may be the first time I have cancelled for illness.   I am a fire by nature – disciplined, moving forward, convinced that “I Can”…..even when I can’t.

I felt much better on Friday and Saturday.  Then last night – Sunday – my time to write arrived.  I am “supposed to write”.   I “always write on Sunday”.    But my sinuses again felt full and I had zero clarity.  Nothing to write about.  So again…. I stepped out of my comfort zone….and simply didn’t write.    Instead soaked in my tub with bath salts.  Feeling so much better after.  Learning that while it may be uncomfortable, stepping back to nurture myself when needed is a good thing. 

We learn when we go into that space of discomfort.  We see.
So how many of you truly believe that you create your lives??  Let’s see a show of hands.

That you determine your future moments. That life doesn’t just happen to you.  That you are an infinite creator….of anything that you want?

Have you been planting your intention?  It always starts with a vision.  Clarity of sight and planting it deep within.   But then we must take those baby steps, and many of them will be uncomfortable.

The known is very comfortable.   Even when it may be negative, it often seems easier to just keep doing the same known things than to start the wheels of change.  Staying in an unfulfilling job or relationship, continuing to live with physical discomfort, remaining on a committee or board for which you no longer have a passion.  Sometimes less effort than stepping that big toe out of the “comfort box” you have constructed.    But in the known there is very little growth and not a whole lot of transformation or ecstasy.    

The real power of aliveness lies in the unknown.  But it takes some courage to go there and some discipline to keep moving through it even when there is discomfort.

For those of you who take yoga, think about the poses that you believe you can’t do.  The ones where when the teacher calls for them, an UGH goes through your mind, and maybe you decide it is a good time to get a quick drink of water or blow your nose so you don’t have to be in it for quite as long.  The ones where you have convinced yourself that your body just doesn’t do that.

And discomfort can come in many forms.  There is the obvious physical discomfort – like holding plank for a full minute when your arms are shaking.  But there can just as easily be emotional discomfort.  Perhaps you are uncomfortable with chest openers because you are self-conscious of your breasts.  Maybe arm balancing brings fear to the surface because of buried trust issues.  Or the shake you have in your hand may be noticed when we are asked to settle into stillness in a pose. 

For me it was seated wide legged forward fold.  As a young girl taking gymnastic lessons I could do all of the back bends but never could spread my legs and get within even a few feet of the floor when I folded.  Ever.  I watched most of the girls as they lay flat on the floor between their legs as simply as you or I lift up an arm.  I was jealous.   I decided early on that my hip joints were just shaped differently and that I just couldn’t do that.  Who needed to be able to do that anyway?

Then 3 years ago I went to an Erich Schiffmann workshop, and as a 6’ 5”  yogi  he sat down, spread his legs, lowered down to rest on his elbows and talked to us from there for 5 minutes.   And he commented that as yoga teachers this was one of the important poses and we should all work to do it.   UGH. 

So I went home and for maybe 2 months I half-heartedly tried.  But it was uncomfortable and I wasn’t seeing fast enough progress.  I began finding reasons why I couldn’t end with that pose – seeming to always run out of time, until finally it faded from my practice.  Who needs to do that anyway?  And besides….my hip joints are shaped differently. 

Fast forward to this year when I am back again learning from Erich and it all came flooding in once more.  This time I knew it required me to set this pose as an intention……..and to take the baby steps toward it day after day after day after day.  That to continue to grow in my practice, which is simply a mirror of life, I had to step into the unknown with conviction.  And so I have for the last 7 months.  

And you know what?  My hip bones are not shaped differently!  I can’t lie anywhere close to flat on the floor and that isn’t what this is all about.  But I can go so much deeper than I could at 8 or 14 or 20 years old.   And while It is still uncomfortable, I have grown to enjoy the discomfort associated with the new growth…..the possibilities…..my limitless potential. 


         Erich Schiffmann

What is it for you?   Set an intention and see it with an unwavering focus.

I can,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment