Sunday, December 30, 2012

Simplicity


Yogis,

As another Christmas season draws to a close, my mind turns to simplicity.

I truly love our family Christmas traditions - although my husband does sometimes call me Scrooge.  It’s just that the season has become a bit drawn out for me, covering multiple weeks…..  But the 4 days when my family is all here and we settle into our cocoon with plenty of cheese and crackers, champagne, eggs benedict, funny movies and board games are absolutely wonderful.  A time when we all move together as one unit, don’t care what we look like and spend 4 hours opening gifts one at a time.   I am incredibly grateful for those times.

But I realize that I also love, equally as much, but for very different reasons, the time when Christmas ends.
The first few days after the family has all left and the presents have been carried upstairs, I begin to sense and crave simplicity.   As I move furniture back where it belongs, strip the beds and mop away all of the cookie crumbs and pine needles, I can again see the texture of the wood floors.  The remaining desserts and goodies get packed up into the fridge and the counter top for the first time in a week actually shines.   And after the 5th load of laundry I can walk into the laundry room without stepping over piles.  A sense of space returns.

This year my closet had been getting out of control for several months.  Too many clothes.   Too many shoes.  Where do they all come from? And how could I possibly ever wear them all?  So yesterday I literally took everything out of my drawers and closet and started over.  Clearing out the excess, not only from the room, but from my life.  Simplicity. 

And who can’t help but feel that enough is enough on the food and drink front!  I felt like one big piece of bread.  All I wanted was yogurt, salads, fruit and nuts. 

It feels like a cleansing.  But not only of the house and the closet and the body…..but also of my soul.  As I did my first true full yoga practice I realized how out of touch I was with “me”.   But after 3 practices and a walk to the river to open the front of my body to the brilliant winter sun,  I was “back”.   A time to return to  the simple joys of daily life.   A time to return to the beauty of stillness. 

Wishing everyone a wonderful New Years!  Yet another huge, completely blank canvas in front of us on which we can create absolutely anything we desire.  What visions do you have for yours? 

Simply,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment