Sunday, September 13, 2026

....wasps

Yogis,
Do you have any idea how many different species of wasps there are? A conservative estimate has them at 100,000 but the belief is it could be many times that amount. And how about how many species are here in Maryland?

At this point in time there are 1,200 named and documented types. In early September I feel like all of them are in my garden!

This is goldenrod and late boneset season and I know from experience that those plants are pure wasp magnets. I spent time with the wasps this weekend to get to know them better.

We know a wasp when we see it. I think it is the way their long slender legs hang down as they fly. Yet there are many other differences between wasps and bees.

For one, a wasp is slender and has a cinch at the waist, as if they have on a tight belt. A bee on the other hand is more rotund. No waist in sight.

Bees are hairy. Wasps are smooth and hairless. More sleek. Bees are vegetarian, eating only nectar and pollen, while wasps are more predatory and as omnivores, will eat insects and human food. Some wasps, like yellow jackets, love sugary drinks which is why we refer to our town’s September crab feast as the bee (although it should be wasp) fest. Always check your drink before taking a sip.


 In the history of our world, wasps came long before bees.

And while a bee can only sting once, a wasp can sting several times in self-defense. I spent my time with them up close and personal with slow movements and calm energy and they were nothing but polite.

Wasps are a crucial part of our ecosystem. They serve as pollinators, act as nature’s pest control by eating aphids and flies, and are an important protein source for birds, spiders and other insects. A gardener’s friend. We need them and I noticed how beautiful they actually are when you look close.

Every time I spend time with one of earth’s creatures, I am awed.

Befriending the wasps,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment