Monday, January 1, 2024

....a word

Yogis,
Here we stand again. Feet on the starting line of a brand-new year. Didn’t we just do this? Staring into blank space ahead and being asked what it is we want. What do you want this year to look like. To feel like. What you want to create and what you want to walk away from.

As images begin to form, I find it can be quite helpful to frame it in a word. A word that when you think it or speak it aloud holds the energy of what you want the year to become.

I have been doing this for a while now…..and always invite you to join me. Naming a word of the year holds much more power than making resolutions. It states your intention yet gives plenty of space for twists and turns. Put it out there and then be flexible to where it takes you.

Two years ago, I chose responsibility. Wanting to be clear that I am part of the problem. No finger pointing at ‘they’ and making conscious changes to be part of the solution. It led to things like composting and being a bit more open to hearing other points of view. Last year I chose beauty. Giving attention to the beauty that always sits close. The beauty of the vase of flowers on my table as much as the beauty of a rainy day.  

This year the word that came to me was ‘simple.’

Our world has become complicated. Life has become complicated. I hear myself bemoaning the fact too often these days. But has it really? Do the fox in my yard see life becoming more complicated? Does the sun notice? I realized the world hasn’t changed. It is only us. Adding layer upon layer to life, which itself is fairly simple.

I intend to see how I can be more simple. Live more simply. Even writing that feels like a big step.

Once you have a word it is good to look up definitions. Simple: Easily understood or done. Basic or uncomplicated in nature or design. Used to convey that something is straightforward. Post your word where you see it often or use it on a regular basis to make it part of daily life. If you get my notes via email you saw that my final picture almost always had a caption of ‘beauty is everywhere’ this year. Reminding myself.

What is your word of the year? Let it rise naturally as it will be your partner for 365 days.

Simply,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment