Sunday, January 28, 2024

.....a new turn

Yogis,
Each time I walk Phoebe she has a strong opinion on our route. Early morning she walks straight ahead to take me down the street. Evenings are a sharp right turn from the property. If I try a different direction her feet plant, and she will point her nose toward the preferred route.

The afternoon beach walk is no exception. Going down the front steps she is already leaning right with downtown her destination. We head down the north side of Rehoboth Ave and after crossing 1st street, her pace quickens. Thrashers Fries is on the left and with their generous fill everyone inevitably drops a fry or two while walking away. Score!  

We reach the boardwalk where she takes a right and then another to lead us up the south side of the street. Within a block her nose quivers. Grotto pizza leaves a large bowl of dog biscuits in front (and water which no dog seems to touch). I give her one and on we go.

Next a quick left down Penny Lane, a narrow alley with cute shops, including a liquor store which also provides a treat bowl. Yes! This one she discovered only recently but is now a required visit on any stroll.

At the end of the alley, she turns right. Freddie’s had a treat bowl once because it was dinner time, but usually we are much too early. She insists we check anyway.  On the best of days, it is a four-treat walk!

We do this over, and over, and over.  Life rewards her for this habit so there is no deviation. But what if there is something fantastic a mere block over? She may never find out……

Life can feel like this walk. There is nothing wrong with that. I too feel my routines have ‘treated’ me quite well. I love them. But at times a voice stirs inside and quietly asks me to take a different turn. This is one of those times.

Little turns. I add a new workout after my runs (thank you @totalsweat!) which lifts me physically and mentally. I start my day with matcha. I suddenly like red wine. I am listening to new music, being a bit more social and …..oh my gosh getting up a half hour later!

Things shift.

Today we took Phoebe on a new walk two towns down. Disappointingly lots of water bowls but not one treat. What! But so many new sights and smells.  Exhilarating!

New turns bring big changes,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment