Sunday, October 15, 2023

.....take for granted

Yogis,
Somehow, I dodged the bullet in 2020. Then again in 2021. I sailed through 2022 and was beginning to feel invincible! Until this past week…….

Now I can call myself a card carrying (or test carrying) member of the infamous covid club.

Creating a little ‘sick cave’ for myself, I dragged a comfortable mattress into my reiki room and surrounded myself with drinks, a thermometer, a portable heater, tissues and blankets. I crawled in, pulled the covers up and closed my eyes. Minutes turned into hours which then turned into days.

I notice things with all of this time on my hands.

When you are sick your world becomes very small. With classes, hair appointments and tutoring taken off the schedule my biggest concerns switch to when to take advil and making sure I am staying hydrated. It’s amazing how quickly the frenzy of everyday life, which appears unstoppable, can indeed be stopped in its tracks. Life suddenly quiet.

I can hear the ticking of the second hand on the clock across the room.

When sick there is the body and there is the one noticing. Watching as layers go on for chills and then get ripped right back off. Wanting something from the other room but deciding it isn’t worth the burst of energy required. Wanting to read but finding the eyes can’t focus. Feeling your own heartbeat.

Each morning as my eyes opened, I would lie still to notice if I felt like ‘me’ yet. Not remembering exactly what that feels like, but knowing I would recognize it upon arrival…..which it did on Friday.

That wonderful healthy feeling of ‘me’ which I take for granted. Yes, I am mentally grateful for my health when I stop to think about it, but it isn’t until I am sick and come out the other end that I truly feel the gratitude. It always takes a contrast for us to put things in perspective.

Grateful that my body knows how to control its own temperature moment to moment. Grateful for the hunger mechanism that tells me its time to eat. Grateful to draw in breath through a clear nose. For a body without pain. For energy to do as I choose. To be able to walk outside.

I know this will again wear off, but while I am aware………thank you!

I walked Phoebe late last night. We moved slowly in the cool night air, thick with mist. A breeze brushed my face. I looked up and suddenly the world was large once again.

The colors even seem brighter,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment