Sunday, October 22, 2023

....a feast for all

Yogis,
After meditating in the mornings, I often lie back and drift into a dreamworld. Could be fifteen minutes. Or a half hour. Then something pulls me back. Maybe the brightening sky or an activity that is quickly approaching.

This morning it was the raucous calls of the crows. Caw……Caw…..Caw

First, they were woven into my dream, but eventually I sensed them outside my window. Several of them, by the sound of it, squawking as they swooped back and forth between low branches and the roof peak over my head. Something had them riled up.

Pushing back the covers I swing my feet around and gaze out. Ahhhhh, now I see. Mr fox stands beneath the feeder, filling up on seed knocked to the ground the previous day. This is by no means the first time he has wandered by on his way home from a night out.

He keeps an eye to the sky and subtly flinches when a crow dives yet seems to know they don’t have the courage to get close. His head goes back down.

In my fascination with the fox I haven’t noticed the doe standing off to the side. She watches the scene in front of her. Crows, fox and the bird feeder, which is where she would like to head.

The deer too, use my bird feeder as a rest stop. Sometimes lowering their heads to the ground, but more often, reaching their long tongues to lick seed from the tray. I can sense her indecision. A step forward. A few steps back. She stomps her hoof but neither the fox nor the crows care.

She finally tires of waiting her turn and vanishes into the woods.

Fox, now done, steps away from the feeder and watches the crows for a moment. Thoughts of lunch perhaps? He then too silently trots off into the trees.

At last, the crows have a clear approach. Four of them form a circle and proceed to feast. It is quiet once again. Squirrels should arrive any minute.

Each morning I fill the bird feeder with my gourmet blend. Some standard seeds for the sparrows and chickadees, sprinkled with a fruit and nut blend loved by cardinals and blue jays. Then all mixed with mealworms to keep my bluebirds happy and healthy.

As I hang it, I realize I will be feeding much more than the birds. And that makes me happy.

All are welcome,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment