Sunday, September 17, 2023

......service

Yogis,
Through my life I have done a variety of volunteer jobs. It was as a candy striper (remember those?) in a NJ county hospital that I learned to fold a proper hospital corner on a bed, a skill I use to this day. I was fourteen at the time and yes, I did wear a red and white striped uniform.

Once I had kids, I did PTA and ran the annual bingo night. For Mayfair I raised my hand for buying the thousands of trinkets from the Oriental Trading company catalog, unwrapping each one, organizing them and distributing to all the booths at the fair to be used as prizes. I managed soccer teams, sold athletic stadium seat cushions that sat in boxes which filled our basement, and set my clock for 3 am to work after-prom on the cleanup committee.

In the workplace I was always the money collector for coworker gifts and in charge of figuring out the bill for team lunches. In both, you always end up a little short.  I participated in MS Walks and sat on the board of one of our customers.

Supporting our mailroom attendant on her MS Walk

It was sitting at a board meeting that I had an insight. There are volunteer roles that feel like they are made for you. Match your skills and feel empowering. Then there are those that don’t. Board member fell into that second category. I realized I had said yes because I thought I was supposed to. I noticed I was dreading meetings and was not going to be of much value, so I stepped down.

Volunteering, when selected mindfully, is a gratifying and fulfilling role. The act of doing for others gives back over and over. However, when chosen because of pressure, expectations or its easier to just say yes…..not so much.

As I have gotten wiser I only volunteer for those that fall in line with my passions. I have always wanted to teach so I am tutoring reading in a city elementary school. I love to spend time at our creek so I now do water testing. And of course, there is the garden I planted and maintain down on our main street. These fit beautifully within my gifts.

There is a concept in yoga which speaks to this. Dharma. That each of us has unique gifts. There are things we do differently than anyone else in the world. We are to use these gifts to live our own life but also in service to others. In doing so, we fulfill our life’s purpose. Serving others, when in alignment, feels effortless and pays in the currency of joy.

While tending my garden there is no sense of time. People pause to chat. Cars honk. Children smell the flowers. Butterflies float by. The sun shines down. I feel like I am in a fairy tale, yet the community and wildlife benefit. Dharma.

What are your unique gifts? Where do your passions lie? Put them in service and watch what happens.  

You also meet the nicest people,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment