Sunday, January 15, 2023

.....wintering

Yogis,
Dishwasher unloaded. Kitchen cleaned. Plants watered and bills paid. I’ve taught my classes, held a reiki session, walked Phoebe and gone to the grocery store. Yet I stand looking at two empty hours ahead of me. It happened again two days later. And then again the day after that. There were suddenly blocks of time in the day staring back at me and making me feel guilty.

I should be doing something productive! Maybe start a project. Take a class. Join a group……..

Then I remembered those blank spaces were winter. A gift she gives us every year.

From mid November until early January every free moment was taken with holiday prep. Cooking, cleaning, shopping, wrapping and mailing. Throw in parties and family gatherings and there wasn’t a moment to spare. Feeling productive and busy. But that has come to an abrupt end and the cold of winter has indeed arrived leaving little on the calendar.

Every year the profound and sudden quiet of winter takes me by surprise.

Each time I step outside I notice the hush. Most of the birds have gone and the ones who chose to stay behind do so quietly. I can walk for blocks without passing another soul. There are no dogs barking in yards and no kids riding their bikes. I can hear myself think.

Maybe I don’t want that window inward. My first instinct is to fill the winter void. If not, I might get bored! Heaven forbid. Boredom is something we fear.

But that would be a shame.

Covered from head to toe with my breath visible, I run past my community garden. Everything above ground sits dried and brown. No movement. No sound. No bees or butterflies. The garden is in deep rest. Nature knows to take this time to recharge to be ready for the surge forward that spring requires.

She reminds me. Yes. This time of year offers that time to rest that we complain all year there is no time for. Hours to do nothing more than read a book cuddled up with a favorite blanket. Wear sweatpants all afternoon. Build fires. Watch that movie I never got to see and sneak into bed even earlier, covers pulled up over my ears.

Wintering.

Think of winter as a free two-month meditation retreat. A time for reflection. Being alone and without the usual distractions you may find that life comes into focus. Where you are…… what is working….. and what isn’t.  

Give yourself permission to rest. To be bored. To live without agenda. Accept this gift the season is offering you, because before long spring will be knocking at the door and you will be complaining about life’s busy-ness once again.

Being very quiet,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment