Sunday, January 22, 2023

.....attenuation

Yogis,
Could I possibly let a winter go by without writing at least one note (no promise there won’t be more…..) about trees? Having shed all leaves, seeds, flowers, nuts and cones they stand proud and confident in their nakedness. Powerful and rock steady. Winter, in my eyes, is a tree’s time to shine.

Last night sitting for dinner in a quiet house I heard the distinctive hum of the beltway. Washington DC’s  interstate that circles the city and it’s close in suburbs. As a Washingtonian you define where you live by ‘inside’ or ‘outside’ the beltway. We sit about one mile inside.

When we moved onto the street 35 years ago the beltway was a non-issue. Only on a rare winter day with the wind blowing in just the right direction, could you make out the sounds of cars if you listened closely. Fast forward and now no matter the time of year I can hear it if I tune in. Some days faint. Others……not so much.

What has changed? Are there more cars? No, not really. Are cars louder? No, probably the opposite. Has the beltway been expanded to sit closer to our yard? Nope. Leaving only one other possible option. Less trees. New home builders take them down. Homeowners take them down. Our electric company takes them down. Five here. Two here. Ten here. Year after year. It all adds up…….

We hear the multitude of benefits that trees offer. They provide the oxygen we breathe. Reduce stormwater runoff, provide habitat for wildlife, cool our homes and combat climate change. Even decrease violence in neighborhoods. But another incredible gift they give is noise reduction.

We live in a noisy world. Noise pollution is being shown to have negative effects on our sleep, emotional wellbeing and even heart health. I can attest to that! At times once I notice the sounds of the highway I can’t ‘unhear’ them. I can physically feel myself getting agitated.

Here is where trees come to the rescue.  They act as noise barriers through what is called sound attenuation. Trees dampen the sound as it travels through air by absorption, deflection, refraction and masking. They protect us. Once again.

Last month I noticed landscapers in my friend’s yard planting 3 good sized trees. Elm, oak and maple. I figured she decided to spend the money to replace and expand on the one that had died. Nope. She told me it was all done for free by our county through a program called Tree Montgomery. The county met with her for a plan and then sent landscapers who professionally buried the roots in the earth. These will all grow to be large shade, noise cancelling trees.

Two weeks ago when I was walking to the creek I noticed 5 new trees planted in the open grassy area at the entrance to the park. Pin oaks, the tags declared. Huh! Isn’t that nice.

Then this week, I took Phoebe to a small park a few streets away. It is surrounded by woods on two sides of a full soccer field my boys grew up playing on. To my surprise there sat 4 new happy trees planted on the open air side of the field. Willow oak, sweetgum and red maple. Wow! Isn’t that nice.

Suddenly I am feeling the tiniest of turns in the path. For more years than I can count I have witnessed trees being chain sawed down and I can’t remember seeing any planted. Those are terrible odds. Yet in the last couple months I have seen at least twelve additions to our Cabin John tree community. 

We have a long way to go……but I am feeling hopeful.  

I have signed up for Tree Montgomery,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment