Sunday, November 27, 2022

......passing the baton

Yogis,
It’s a wrap. The remnants of leftovers have been eaten. The house is swept. Bed linens stripped, washed and folded. Rugs shaken out……check. Turkey platter packed away……check. The french bulldog is named best in show. Thanksgiving 2022 is now in the books.

Thanksgiving is a unique holiday. It has its own personality and long-standing traditions, yet as soon as the table has been cleared of cranberry sauce the baton is handed to Christmas. Not even a full twenty-four hours exists from that moment forward that doesn’t share its time with thoughts of mistletoe and holly.

Turkey? Pumpkins? Autumn colors? They all quickly begin to look faded and out of place while red and green lights with garland are wrapped around the downtown light posts. Christmas tree lightings, carols and the frenzy of black Friday replace naps on the couch while watching football. Must I shower?

Some years it really gets on my nerves. Couldn’t we relish that warm feeling of family, good food and laziness for just another day or two? Is that an unreasonable request? But for some reason I am ok with it this year.

Maybe it’s the hope that Covid will not be one of our guests this year. Or that the sun has been so bright in the sky this past month. Perhaps it’s because there are four full weeks instead of three and change between holidays as Thanksgiving fell a bit early.

Whatever it is, on Friday after gathering with the whole gang once again to do left-overs we took a walk into town (Rehoboth) with Phoebe to see the Christmas tree. The streets felt filled with joy. There was a line for the world famous French fries as Santa’s little house on the boardwalk was awaiting his arrival.

A small lit Christmas tree in a front screened porch caught my eye and told me I should begin searching for the right one for our little house.

Temperatures dropped quickly as the sky darkened, but the orange light of Mars shone bright. As I looked around it was as if I was watching families walking out of Thanksgiving and into the pine scent of Christmas. I know it happens every year but this year I felt like I was in lock step with them. Ready for the baton to be handed. Like maybe I could even simplify the holiday season finally. Really? At least a little…….

Santa's house at sunrise 

Thanksgiving night is the launching pad for a whirlwind of a month, but I am ready. Good-bye pumpkin pie……and hello peppermint bark!

Grateful for it all,
SARAH

.....and grateful to all of you who read my Sunday notes

No comments:

Post a Comment