Sunday, November 13, 2022

.....anticipation

Yogis,
It begins to come into focus about a week ahead. I start to imagine everyone walking through the front door. Seeing the wide smiles and hugs all around as we gather in the kitchen. Visualizing the lively mood during appetizers as we catch up on a year that now sits in our rear-view mirror. Imagining the amazing spread of lobster, tenderloin and potatoes in my mind’s eye and the ceremonial tossing of the Caesar salad. That warm feeling of being together to celebrate us for the 34th…..or is it 35th year.

Saturday was our annual Lobsterfest, where ten of us converge for five hours to eat, drink, talk, dance and love. Lots and lots of love. But it always begins with the anticipation.

This year as I visualized adorning the table with small pumpkins, fall mums, fresh cut herbs and candles, I began to see something new. Twinkle lights lying down the center of the table. Online I go and $11 later I have a ten foot strand of small warm white globe lights which I weaved around the table toppers. They did not disappoint. In fact, I believe they will stay there through the dark of winter.

Two days ahead I sat in front of my Spotify to begin constructing a playlist that would get even the most reluctant dancers up out of their chairs. Seeing us all pushing in the dining chairs to clear our dance floor. Of course, the crowd favorites like Get Lucky and Blurred Lines went in, but I pictured some new energy being brought in. Songs like I Love It and Sweetest Pie. They did not disappoint. After one particularly exhilarating dance when the song ended, we all spontaneously broke into applause. Applause for us and for our joy.

Anticipating the laughter. Imagining myself bent over or even snorting from those stories of our younger years told one more time. The way we all know each other so well that our individual quirks and inside jokes never disappoint. Laughter like we have is absolutely one of the best medicines for whatever ails you.

Finally, the anticipation of late night where we feel we have eaten and moved enough and we can all settle together. Lights low. Music turned down. I can feel it.  It did not disappoint. We have two new chairs in the sitting nook of our great room where everyone was drawn to sit in a circle. Phoebe curled up in a ball getting her final pets. Reminiscing. Talk of young grandchildren and others on their way.

While I shop for flowers, I feel the anticipation. While cutting herbs. Washing the table linens. Putting chocolates in a bowl. Laying out the cheese platters. Lighting the candles. Each step filling me with the sights, smells and sensations of what is to come.

Thank goodness I have the anticipation for the several days leading up to Saturday because those five hours are gone in a blink of an eye. As the coats go back on and goodbyes are shared, I realize that no matter how high the bar is set in my vision, the event never disappoints.

I wake up Sunday morning a bit bleary eyed but bursting with gratefulness.

Still feeling the warmth that days ago I anticipated,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment