Sunday, October 30, 2022

....trick or treat

Yogis,
Our relationships to holidays change based on where we are at the time. Our views, thoughts and how we celebrate evolve as we pass through numerous life stages. Halloween is no exception to this evolution.

When I was little I loved Halloween! Everything about it. Figuring out what costume I was going to wear…….hobo, Indian, gypsy…..oh my. The school parades. And of course, running around the neighborhood at night with friends and lugging back my heavy pillowcase in the dark. Finally dumping it all out to sort, count and trade. I will give you two Mary Janes for a box of whoppers.

The teenage years were, well…….just awkward.

As I became a young adult I soured on the holiday a bit. I could never figure out a creative costume and the parties felt like drunk fests. Georgetown became a mob scene. Masks became scarier. And I didn’t like the idea of not being quite sure who I was talking to. I was relieved when no one invited me to an event.

Fast forward to being a mom. Suddenly Halloween had new life! Our house decorated with multiple live looking dummies sitting on the front porch. Dressing up the kids (I still was not very creative) and walking the street with them. Neighbors all out with wine in hand and firepits lit in front yards. Gathering after for a bowl of soup while the kids sorted, counted and traded. Festive and low pressure.

But then the kids became men and moved on. For several years we still put up the decorations, dummies and all, and waited for the kids to come. Some years in droves and many others…..in dribbles. The holiday beginning to feel like a lot of effort without the thrill.

Enter Sea Witch Festival as I enter my older years. A full weekend of Halloween activities in Rehoboth, the town where we have our beach house. The main event being the Sea Witch parade on Saturday afternoon. A two hour extravaganza of costumes, floats and marching bands. The sidewalks filled with spectators, almost all in full blown costume themselves. It’s like a daylong joyful block party where anything goes.

Rehoboth is a town where you always see things out of the ordinary, but this weekend it is on steroids. The bars are full with music spilling out onto the street. People waving from balconies. Dogs in tutus and witches galore. Broom throwing contests and dancing hippos. Everyone wearing the mask of exactly who they want to be. Smiles everywhere. I love it!

Sitting in the sun in late afternoon eating a delicious taco, the Little Mermaid, perched on a rainbow-colored float, rolls by and waves. Once again, I am excited for Halloween.

Trick or treat,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment