Sunday, October 2, 2022

.....the perfect gift

Yogis,
This story begins back in late July. I noticed something growing along the edge of our long gravel driveway. Getting close I found those tell-tale gigantic ear shaped leaves attached to a running vine underneath. No question, it was definitely a plant in the squash family.

Now mind you I certainly didn’t plant any squash seeds next to a driveway that is in constant use. It is an area that is not tended, underneath a honeysuckle bush and doesn’t get much direct sunlight. Must be the handiwork of a squirrel or bird. How fun!

But what kind of a squash is it? Zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins, gourds and watermelon all belong to the squash family. Each time I tried to ID it with my phone, the app would get only as far and announcing it was a squash. Hmmmmm…….

Beautiful orange flowers began to emerge, one a day, as the vine lengthened, but always on tall skinny stems. No fruit would come from those as the skinny stem indicates they are male. Each day I checked. As she tried to meander into the center of the driveway, I would gently guide her tendrils back to the edge.

Leaving for ten days at the beach at the end of August, I checked on her one last time. There it was! A flower about to bloom that was attached to the vine by a swollen node. A fruit! I was sure that when I returned there would be a huge zucchini waiting for me.

Ten days later……nothing. Not all fruits make it. The wait continued.

Finally, I saw another. Every day it grew bigger. I started noticing though that it wasn’t growing oblong, but instead was getting rounder. Definitely not zucchini. I kept watching. A week later grooves became visible running from the stem to the bottom all the way around. A pumpkin!

I have never tried to grow pumpkins on my own. For some reason I felt that would be too difficult. And here was the universe giving me a lesson on just how easy it can be. Reminding me that nature does the work. I am only the assistant.

I waited for it to begin turning orange, but oh no. That wasn’t her plan. A gorgeous pearl white began to spread across her surface. I picked her this week before the busy squirrels had a chance.

What a gift! A perfectly shaped white pumpkin now sits in my house bringing me joy each time I walk by. I love her.

I didn’t ask for a white pumpkin. I wasn’t expecting it. It is simple. It cost nothing. It brings me joy. Isn’t that the definition of the perfect gift? And nothing was expected in return, yet I am sending  gratitude…..which I have in abundance.

What a magical world we live in.

Gifts are all around us,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment