Sunday, August 28, 2022

......camping with nana

Yogis,
Every summer I spend at least a few nights camping in my backyard. It’s the best of both worlds! Woods, wildlife and stars……no travel, a kitchen for cooking and a shower in the morning.

My grandson has been wanting to camp with me. Last weekend I decided to sleep out and checked in with my son but they were hoping to go to their bay house for the weekend. Options were for me to go with them or them to drop Johnny off here. He turned 7 earlier this month so I figured he was old enough to choose.

I got a text later that night. Johnny chose ‘camping with nana’! It kind of sounds like the name of a weekly outdoor tv show. Hooray!

I ran to the store to stock up on camping essentials. Marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate bars, burgers, watermelon and glow sticks. He didn’t own a sleeping bag so a quick overnight order was placed. The owl visited me that evening and I kindly asked it to return the next night so my grandson too could experience the thrill of a hoot in the night air.

He arrived the next morning raring to go. Luckily, I had a full agenda planned.

Off to Glen Echo park we went to ride the carousel. The same carousel in fact that his father rode often as a young boy. We walked the park. Played on the playground. Visited the aquarium. And of course, picked up a pizza for lunch.

Now it was time for the camp activities to commence. First on the agenda…..prepare the firepit. Stick hunting ensued.  I showed him the way to layer and he loved the idea of using dried pinecones as fire starters. He found the perfect marshmallow roasting sticks and got them ready.

Next, setting up the tent. He helped with the poles and immediately wanted to get in and check it out. Right on cue, Amazon showed up with a sleeping bag. Pillows in. Tent ready.

After a hearty dinner we lit the fire which blazed, cracked and popped. He explained to me the physics behind the cracking. Much time was spent throwing sticks on the fire which was perfect since all the summer storms had sent quite a bit of wood down on my property. The smells, the heat, the sounds.

Smores were next. Messy, gooey and oh so delicious. As we sat licking our sticky fingers the owl arrived and sang us her song. Thank you, owl!

Washed up and teeth brushed we lit our glow stick necklaces and climbed into the tent. ‘I don’t think I will be able to sleep with all the noise out here. I need quiet’ he announces. I tell him that is part of being a camper and that I know he can do it. We lie there together and look at the stars. Before long he is sound asleep.

I feel movement. Opening one eye I find him looking at me. It is 6:05. The sun is rising, and the birds are awake and ready for the day. We see how many bird calls we can identify. I tell him that opening my eyes as morning is breaking is my favorite part of camping. The sky overhead turns pink. We are both awed.

One of the great joys of being a grandma is being able to share your gifts and passions with someone you love with all of your heart.  My hope is that when Johnny is a grown man with kids of his own and he takes them camping, he remembers that his very first experience was…..camping with nana.

Anyone want to come to ‘camp nana’?
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment