Sunday, December 20, 2020

.....sky season

Yogis,
It’s officially sky season!

For three quarters of the year in my area I see very little sky. If I position myself in a clearing among the trees and bend my neck all the way back, I might be able to watch the clouds float by. The full moon may rise at 8:00 but I won’t spot it for at least an hour when she finally lifts herself above the heavy quilt of leaves covering my grandfather oak.

Spring and summer draw our eyes downward. From the first crocus pushing her head out of from beneath the ice packed ground, until the billowy plumes of the late summer goldenrod begin to fade, our gaze is to the earth and her seemingly endless bounty of gifts. Fall with its palette of reds, yellows and oranges invites us to lift our focus from the ground. The wind swaying the trees in their annual autumn dance.

It isn’t until the final leaves have fallen to our feet and the world quiets that the sky takes center stage. Winter is sky season......

My head still on the pillow, I open my eyes and am welcomed to this new day by the sky. Walking, I notice her. Driving, she catches my eye. When I turn my head to the right, I see sky. When I turn my head to the left, I see sky. Winter brings out the best in her.

Finishing my morning meditation I turn to my east facing window and am awed by the fire of the predawn sky. One evening at the beach I am drawn to pull over so I can sit quietly and take in the miracle of a winter sunset. How can anything be so beautiful. Her colors this time of year cannot be replicated as much as we try.


She also now creates the perfect canvas. Her clear open space allows us an unobstructed view of the heron taking flight. Trees, like sculptures, are on display. Smoke rises from our chimney. The stars twinkle a bit more brightly and gray skies create haunting landscapes, casting a green sheen on the river below. The geese float by beneath her.  

There is also no coincidence that when life appears to be trending in the right direction we claim ‘things are looking up’.  The mere act of looking to the sky gives us hope. Whispering to us that life is not as complicated as it might seem and that we are being watched over.

While earth reminds us that we are supported, held and safe, the sky shows us how infinite life can be. Dreams, wings, flight. Spacious…..boundless. Not tied down or attached. The sky symbolizes freedom and possibilities.

As you move into this new week, be sure to look up! You won’t be disappointed.  

Reaching for the stars,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment