Sunday, May 10, 2020

.....the mom energy


Yogis,
My mom has spent some of her quarantined time going through boxes of old pictures that were passed on to them from the children of a relative. She separated them out and mailed them to those she thought should have them. In my package was one of her and me in February 1963. I was one year old. She was only 25.

Looking at the picture I try to remember what it felt like to be a toddler with the mom I had been given. My memories of back then are only of specific moments in time, but what I can say for sure is that I felt safe. Always.

There is a powerful feminine force in the Universe given the name ‘mother’. Fierce in her protection, nurturing and loving unconditionally. The one who feeds and clothes the family, tends to the sick and listens. Using her intuition to know what words are needed, when firmness is called for and even where everyone’s lost items are, without having to look.

When I would wake from a nightmare in the middle of the night, it was toward my mom that I ran, where I was allowed to lie in bed with her until the fear faded. I can still feel it. Days at school where my feelings would get hurt and I would stoically hold it in until passing through the threshold of the house, seeing her face and melting in tears. Pastina served to me when I was home sick on the couch.

She was my piano accompanist for all of the years I played violin, showed me how to make my grandmother’s famous banana cake and separate eggs, and patiently straightened my tights daily because I couldn’t stand the seam they had in the back to be off center.  She taught me to always be kind, be a good listener and never wear underwear with holes in them (because what if you got in an accident that day!)

But most importantly, she made it clear that there was nothing I could do that would diminish her love for me one iota. Mom energy…..

We all need the mom energy as we grow. For some it comes from an older sister or even outside the immediate family. A grandmother, favorite aunt or close friend. It can even be expressed through a male family member. But in some shape or form we have a primal need for the feeling of being held tightly and understood. Shielded, if only for a moment, from the hardships of life.

Fast forward to 1984.  I am now 22 and having my first son. Using my mom as an example, and all
the years I ‘mothered’ my dolls, doing my best to shower him with that same mom energy. As real-life mothers, none of us is perfect. It is a challenging role with high expectations. But if there is one thing I hope my three boys know, it is that there is nothing they could do that would diminish my love for them one iota.
Happy Mother’s Day!
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment