Sunday, February 16, 2020

.....planted

Yogis,
Over the years you may have noticed my inclination toward photographing my feet. It isn’t so much that I believe my feet to be exceptionally good looking – although after all the years of yoga I do finally love my feet – but it’s that where they are, so am I.  Notice your feet…..notice this moment.

We use the expression ‘planting my feet’ to indicate that we are arriving, rooting down and staying. That the need to be on the move is, for at least a brief time, allowed to fall away.  That here….in this place….is enough.


There is another creature among us that embodies this principle fully. The tree. And where I look to see and feel it is where the trunk meets the earth.  This too I photograph often. 

If I had to give it a sound, it would have to be ‘Umph’. A deep dropping thud. A vibration that if felt inside would rumble down in the pelvic floor. Similar to the tremendous sound of the heartbreaking landing of my favorite tree as it hit the ground ten years ago and the reverberation that followed. A dent in the ground still remains as evidence.

Even the words ‘trunk’ and ‘stump’ have the ring of grounded-ness to them.

Being planted means being here. We have the luxury of feet that can decide to move on, which is both a joy and a hindrance. A tree does not enjoy this option. It stays.

This week I observed the variety of ways they choose to connect with the ground below. Some with a heaviness that suggests they have been standing watch over not only me, but the generations that walked before me. Others seem to prefer being a bit more on their toes. I saw tree toes both long and short. Some which appear to wear rings and others that look like could use a good pedicure.

Rough around the edges, smooth and one even appearing to wear a skirt. Covered with moss or
offering a way in for those who wish to enter its hush. Even trees who choose to plant themselves intertwined with another for life. Soul mates.

Check them out this week! As you are out and about, look down to that sacred place where the trees have chosen to join the earth. The energy of their being planted. Of being rooted. Of staying still. Feel it…..

And send me pictures!

Noticing Now,
SARAH



No comments:

Post a Comment