Sunday, November 11, 2018

......my 'what I like about winter' list


Yogis,
There’s nothing like the clocks going back, finding myself standing in the dark at 5:00pm, to remind me that winter is once again on its way. Not here yet, but this weekends blast of cold air and the arrival of the first Christmas catalogs are like the call ahead you get for a dental appointment.  It is indeed coming….like it or not.

It is as this point that I like to pull out and dust off my ‘what I like about winter’ list!  Some of you may remember it. About four years ago I decided that after fifty years, it was finally time to stop hating winter. As a summer at heart, not only have I always hated winter, but even fall fell out of favor because I saw it as a one-way tunnel which led to you know where. I noticed that I was resisting about a third of the year, and therefore a third of my life, and that suddenly seemed ludicrous.  

Thus my list was born……..
Instead of constantly complaining about the things I didn’t like, I decided to shift my focus. To look for the good. Each year I add on to my list. Being attentive throughout the season to those moments that bring me joy. Pleasure. Simple things that when observed bring contentment.

My list, which may seem to be a small thing, has had a marked influence on my view of the season. I now can say that not only do I not dread winter….I actually like it! I glance through my list and look forward to experiencing all it contains. It reminds me of the good that lies in every day.

For me it was winter. For you perhaps it is summer you find uncomfortable.  Or maybe its Monday, or for that matter, Monday through Wednesday. Your son’s travel soccer season, a particular holiday, or the busy season at work. Whatever it is that you resist, within it lies some beauty. Start a list! Shift your attention and the rest will follow. 

I already know some of the things that will be additions this year! How I love going to the beach house in the winter and walking a deserted boardwalk. With no reservations needed at night and seats always available at the bar, we chat with the locals and get to know the owners and staff. And the way the snow geese migrate through in January, landing in such vast numbers on the ocean that they appear to be a reflection of a cloud overhead. 

I choose to like winter.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
           - Albert Camus

Not wishing away this one sacred life,
SARAH


A Chance to support women and children.......
Join in on the yoga event Saturday 11/17, 4pm at Flow Yoga or make a donation!  

For the cost of one class you can change a life! 


No comments:

Post a Comment