Sunday, October 21, 2018

.....taking a bath


Yogis,
Like most, I grew up taking baths. The evening ritual of settling into a warm tub, with bubbles of course.  Making foam beards, practicing going under water and seeing if I could float. Stepping out when done into a big fluffy towel held open by my mom.

I also remember that my mom took baths back then. After putting me to bed I would hear her turning on the water and grabbing her book. The sound of water, and knowing she was staying close by, was deeply comforting and lulled me to sleep. I was always bummed when it was a ‘no bath’ night.

As a teenager baths seemed to be a waste of time. The shower, much quicker and more efficient, felt to be somehow more adult. The baths becoming a dim memory as I entered adulthood. It wasn’t until I was in my mid forties that I rediscovered the magic of a bath………
While renovating the house next door to sell, the master bath plans included a bubble jet tub since this appeared to be a must have on new home buyers lists. I researched tubs and picked a deep two-person beautiful white oval one. It never occurred to me that I would end up being the one to christen it.

When we ended up moving into the house I continued my standard daily shower routine, glancing over at the tub, not quite sold on the idea, until one Friday night.  Finally filling it and dropping in, I realized I had been missing one of life’s simple yet magnificent pleasures. Friday night quickly became bath night. Ten years later the routine continues.

As with any ritual it has evolved. At first there were bubbles and jets turned on, but soon I realized I needed neither. I preferred clear water and the quiet which allowed the sound of the water running to remind me of my youth. Drops of lavender, geranium or rose essential oil hit the hot water and quickly fill the room. Soon I began to experiment with bath salts. Mixing Epsom, mineral and pink Himalayan salts with dried rose petals from flowers I was given over the year. Depending on my mood, perhaps dried lavender and chamomile flowers purchased from the natural store down the road.
I have rediscovered the healing powers of the bath. What is it that I need this week? As I light the candles I choose the medicine. Salts when my muscles ache from a strenuous week. Jasmine oil and rose petals when the moon is full and I crave connection to my inner goddess.  Or like this week, eucalyptus oil to help with the cough and sinus congestion that I have been working to keep at the front door all week, not inviting them in for tea. 

When is the last time you soaked in the tub? For me one of the hurdles to overcome was allowing myself to be unclothed in a position that forced me to see myself. To accept my body exactly the way it was and treat it with kindness. That too has been healing.

The tub itself matters not. Yes, it is nice to have a soaking tub, but even the regular bath will do the trick if you bend the knees a little more to drop in. Perhaps you don’t have a shelf for the candles, flowers or oils…..bring in a little stool to make your bath alter.  Make the time and the space sacred.

As I stepped out of the water Friday night, steam rose from my skin. I wrapped myself in my big fluffy towel and then slipped into the cool crisp sheets. My worries washed away.

Earth medicine,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment