Sunday, April 30, 2017

.....belly breathing

Yogis,
As last weekend’s experience at the meditation workshop at the Himalayan Institute ‘digests’, there are several benefits I am experiencing. One in particular coincidentally has to do with the belly.

We spent much of the weekend being reminded about relaxing and be focused enough to allow the belly to receive the breath.  This breath pattern is diaphragmatic breathing. Also referred to as abdominal breathing it occurs when we are taking deep complete breaths. The lungs become full which pushes the diaphragm downward causing the belly to rise and it is a magic pill for health!

Lowers blood pressure, releases serotonin (the feel good mood stabilizer), lowers blood sugar, slows aging…..

We were born breathing this way.  If you watch a baby’s breath the first thing you notice is how much movement there is in the stomach. But we grow up and life tends to put a ‘belt’ around our waist, sending our breath high up into the chest. We become habitual shallow breathers. Never taking a life affirming full breath. 

So I watched my belly in meditation, throughout yoga classes, when I was falling asleep and driving the 4 ½ hours home!  Although I am a pretty good breather due to my many years of yoga……I realized I still have a lot more potential.

So here I am, relaxed and breathing, uncovering what I want and visualizing it daily.  But something is lacking.  Last night I heard it loud and clear.  I am not stepping forward.  I have built the inner fire but I haven’t using it.  Like putting up the twinkly lights, a tablecloth on the picnic table and building a hearty fire in the fire pit, but not inviting anyone to sit with me. 

Having strong, balanced, bright fire energy in the core asks us to step into the unknown in order to create change.  We must ‘do’ and I haven’t been.  So I woke us this morning and stepped into the uncomfortable.  I made a video – my first attempt – and I am sending it out.  Yikes!


The Universe has told me I need to use some video, has sent people into my path to remind me (you all know who you are) and gives me not so gentle nudges every so often, but I have resisted. Too revealing. I don’t know how. I won't look good. What if someone doesn’t like it. To net it out…..it won’t be perfect. 

What is one small step forward you can take this week toward something you desire? What messages have you been receiving that are easier set to the side until ‘some time’ or ‘one day’? Breathe into the belly and listen.

As my Dad says 'Good enough!"  There we have it. Some ‘doing’.  Baby steps are all that are required and I have taken one.  Feels good! 

Seeing what I want,
SARAH





No comments:

Post a Comment