Sunday, February 19, 2017

......life's backpack

Yogis,
Our town has a local email listserv where people post items for sale, the need for a nanny, recommendations for local trades people and an occasional lost dog.  It is also a way to let the neighbors know if there have been any recent issues.This week someone posted that a few cars had been ransacked one evening with small electronics, loose change and a gym bag taken. A heads up.

We live in an extremely safe town where this is pretty much the extent of our crime.  Over the 30 years I have lived here this seems to happen about every 5 or 6 years. Lately, however, the time span between events has been shortening.

There was some bantering back and forth for all to see, with someone then questioning if the cars had been locked.  Here was the response: 
“I am willing to bet they were unlocked cars.  If you leave your car unlocked, anything stolen is your problem.  Don't bother the police (or your neighbors).”
Now, to be fair, I believe perhaps it was intended for only the person with the question, but you know that darn ‘reply all’ button can be a serious foe.  In either case, I know deep down many people feel this same way.  But that underlying belief is one that has never set well with me. 

I don’t lock my car. Never have. A few months ago I could tell that someone had been in it overnight.  Nothing was taken because I choose not to leave anything of value in it. But to me, the issue is not that I left my car open, but that someone felt they had to come here specifically to go in it. I should be able to have my car unlocked on my property. And if someone takes the few dollars I have in there for emergencies or to give to the homeless on corners….so be it. It remains unlocked.

Lately as I run our streets I have been noticing that more and more houses have security system signs posted out front.  Fifteen years ago I don’t believe there was even one. But as the old houses are bulldozed and much larger homes erected, the new open spaces within them require many more things to fill them. Many more things that then require much more protection. The visual alone of all of these security signs implies that we now have stuff someone might want to take. And on it goes…….

It has gotten me thinking about stuff.  All of the stuff we have. The more attached we become, the deeper the fear of losing it.What are we without all of our belongings? I refer to it as the burden of carrying life’s backpack. 

In class last week I introduced the goddess Lakshmi. Lakshmi is the goddess of abundance and her message is that there is enough for everyone. Enough food, prosperity, love. That even if someone were to take what I had, I would never be without. By the very act of attaching to and holding objects as ‘mine’, a block is created which impedes the wondrous flow through of life.  Bringing in…….then letting go.

I was watching a video that a friend shared on the beauty of pollination. Hummingbirds, butterflies, bees, bats and spectacular flowers.  But what hit me was how free they all were. Traveling completely unburdened. No backpacks for them! We are the only ones who spend our lives gathering belongings, working to keep them, and then leaving our children to figure out what the heck to do with them when we are gone.  

I don’t pretend to have an answer here. Only a life feeling tone that I lean in to which I wanted to share.  It’s one of the reasons I don’t have expensive jewelry, sterling silver or precious antiques. If anyone were to break into my home they would leave empty handed, unless they needed an extra yoga mat.  here is nothing anyone can take from me that would leave me feeling I have less.

Everything we seek is within,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment