Sunday, November 12, 2023

....pink or purple

Yogis,
All of you mothers out there with only boys may understand what I am about to describe. I am the mother of three sons. All three loved to play outside, kick the soccer ball, play video games and thought farts were the most hysterical things ever. Not having even grown up with any brothers, I learned a whole side of life I didn’t know while raising my boys. I loved every minute of it!

Yet through it all I gained no skills in the more feminine activities. Not that girls don’t do all of what I mention above, but many of them have that other side where pink or purple tend to fit in. Not being much of a girly girl growing up myself, I am clueless.

I never wore much makeup after those early teenage years where blue eyeshadow was the rage. A little mascara here or there and lipstick for a couple of years, but never feeling like I knew how to apply any of it correctly. Creative scarf tying…..nope. The ability to use barrettes or clips or swoop my hair up in a loose cool looking bun….never. I don’t own any pink and am woefully low on accessories.

Now I have two granddaughters and I have some major catching up to do! My two daughters-in-law are helping along the way, thank goodness. And I need a lot of help.

Yet in only a couple of hours I felt like I had taken a full semester course in the form of a ‘Fairy and Me’ tea party at Mrs. B’s on Saturday. It’s a whimsical space that holds small events which teach children manners and etiquette in a fun lighthearted way. My one daughter in law discovered it and invited my granddaughter Abigail (her niece) and me to join her. A special ‘girls’ outing.

Special it was. An exquisitely laid out table welcomed us with butterflies, fairy houses, flowers and old-fashioned glass teacups with saucers. Necklaces to pick from, hats to wear and wings to borrow if you didn’t have your own. We learned to pat our mouths with a napkin and not our hands, stir our tea quietly and always pass the food treats to the right. Abigail had her first cup of tea and learned to use tongs to pick up a sugar cube to drop in for sweetness.

All of this with a full-fledged fairy floating about the room on her tippy toes, delighting all the young girls……and me.

Fairy dust was sprinkled on hands. Roses were showered on heads for fairy wishes. We loved it all. And while I still have much to learn I feel I’m on the right track.

I did realize though that I absolutely need to have some wings……..

Pinkies up! (from Mrs. B),
SARAH 

No comments:

Post a Comment