Sunday, December 18, 2022

......scraping

Yogis,
I opened wide for the initial inspection. The tiny handheld mirror and long pic went in and passed slowly over every tooth. ‘Clean as always!’ the hygienist exclaimed. ‘This will be a quick appointment.’ Now this is not how it has always been.  

Every six months like clockwork I head to the dentist for a cleaning and checkup. It’s never been my favorite activity as my teeth are not the strongest part of my body. My mouth is a lifelong construction project. More fillings than I can count, crowns, root canals and an implant. Even a Maryland bridge put in when I was about ten that the dentist marvels at each time he sees it. A true relic.

The gentle scolding at the end of the appointment for my plaque buildup has also never been a highlight. I brush very well twice a day, eat healthy and keep up with my appointments. You need to floss more……you should get an electric toothbrush…..brush longer……mouthwash. I will, I promised, knowing full well nothing was going to change.

Until I began tongue scraping.

I can’t remember how I ended up with a tongue scraper but 4 or 5 years ago I decided to start using it. After every brushing and rinse I grab for the scraper. Placing the metal horseshoe end toward the back of my tongue I pull toward the front of the tongue a few times. Final rinse and good to go!

After about a year I noticed that the little lecture at my appointments became shorter. The scraping of tartar off my teeth was nowhere near as tedious. And my mouth felt great. The improvements continue.

Tongue scraping is an ancient ayurvedic practice which probably began being done in Europe by the affluent in the 15th century. It wasn’t until the 20th century that tongue scrapers began to hit our US commercial market and is still not practiced by many. But the benefits for such a simple routine are plentiful.

It removes many unwanted bacteria from the tongue. Breath is better. Less plaque (halleluiah!) which can equate to less cavities. Reduced inflammation of the gums. Improved sense of taste. In general, better overall dental health.  For about a $7 investment. I’ll take that any day!

The other thing I notice is that scraping gives me instant feedback on myself. There are times where what comes off is not very attractive, indicating I have probably not been eating my healthiest. Other times it is clear and almost nonexistent, telling me I’m on the right track. And once it became habit, my tooth brushing doesn’t feel complete without it.

A new year approaches so consider adding this simple and easy practice to your day. As my mom always says…..what’s the worst thing that can happen?

Go for a metal one (we don’t need any more plastic in our bodies) and at first start scraping from the middle of the tongue and over time as your mouth gets used to it you can start further back.

The dental field does not seem to have embraced tongue scraping in their protocols so you most likely won’t hear it from them. And with dental insurance becoming almost obsolete and costs rising, consider this my public service announcement.

Would love to hear how it goes,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment