Sunday, May 8, 2022

....mother's day repeat

Yogis,
I am the mother of three amazing men. One of those men, my oldest son, now has three children of his own. On a video chat this morning he pointed out that six humans are here on this earth because of me. It all starts with mom. How grateful I am.

Being a mom to boys is a blast. I grew up around girls so this boy stuff was all new to me. Lots of action, plenty of humor and great hugs. They got me out there playing sports and taught me to love movies I would never have considered watching (many of which we watched dozens of times). Male energy.

There is also a flip side to having all sons. Especially as they become adults.

They meet their soul partner and weddings happen. Daughter-in-laws become part of the family clan. They too may have a mother that lives close by. Soon they begin having families of their own. Once children arrive, mother’s day shifts to the new mom in the house. Young ones bringing them breakfast in bed and husbands planning a day to celebrate.

This all creates dilemmas. How do you celebrate the mom in the house, the mother of the wife and also the mom of the husband? Suddenly there are three women all deserving of a day of acknowledgement.

Some try to do it with a lot of running around. Mornings at home, lunch with one mom and rushing over to a barbecue for the other. Some families try to do it all together. One big event. Others may only be able to spend time with one. Opportunities for feelings to be hurt or someone to feel short changed.

This year I decided that I would go to the beach for Mother’s Day weekend and get together with the boys the following weekend.  This got me thinking. What if I let everyone know that from now on I would like to celebrate mother’s day a week later? Creating a new holiday. That way everyone could make their relaxed ‘woman’s side of the family’ mother’s day plans and know that they will see me the next Sunday.

Mother’s Day Repeat! A special day for moms of men.

What do you other mothers of sons think of this idea? I think it is brilliant! Maybe this should even become a new national day.

Happiest of Mother’s Days to everyone!

Mother of sons,
SARAH



No comments:

Post a Comment