Sunday, January 9, 2022

....waiting

Yogis,
Waiting is a funny thing. There is something you know is going to happen at some point in the future and in the time which precedes it, you are in a state of anticipation. Your sense of time changes, images of what is to come float through your mind and very often impatience pops her head up. Humans are typically not big fans of waiting.

Can’t it get here faster?

There are some things you wait for where you know exactly when it is going to arrive. Christmas, as an example. Your birthday. Friday. Vacation. Then there are those others that don’t have a specific time attached to them. Spring is like that. We wait and wait and wait, and often the day spring is heralded in on our calendar presents us with cold rain and gray skies. Spring arrives on her own terms.

A baby is the same way……..

Our third grandchild was due December 30th and we were all convinced that labor would kick in sometime between Christmas and New Years – being a third child and all. But to be on the safe side I packed my bag the week before Christmas. It was cold out, so in went wool sweaters and thick socks. Christmas weekend we hit highs of 70 so out came the wool and in went cotton, only to have frigid temps in the forecast after New Years.  Each day the suitcase was reviewed and adjusted.

My phone, which is never in my bedroom, lay on the floor right next to my bed with the volume way up for two weeks. Each rollover I did included a glance down at the phone to see if there were any messages. My phone traveled with me throughout the house, on my errands (which were never far from home, just in case) and sat next to my mat while I taught. It became an appendage.

The days and weeks went by and each morning I woke up, rushed to take my shower (just in case) and waited.

The plan, we all thought, was for my daughter-in-law to be induced on Monday 1/3. At last, a specific date to focus in on! Until she was told on Sunday that no, she was only on a waitlist for Monday. Who knew?  They would call if they had an opening. And now a storm was on its way……  Suitcase adjusted yet again with snow boots and gloves.

Monday morning arrived with a blustery heavy snow and at the peak of the storm, a call from the doctor. The waiting was almost over!

After a harrowing, but head down determined drive, we continued our waiting, but now with the joyful companionship of the two other grandkids. We passed the waiting time with sledding, snowmen, books and lots of snacks. Nothing by bedtime so the phone once again rested by my head. And I waited and waited and waited……

Until 9:00 in the morning when we received the magnificent news that a healthy Benjamin Ryan Cahill had entered this world at 4 am! The waiting was over, and the blessing of his birth made every single moment of it a gift. He is perfect and my dad summed it up beautifully when he said ‘my heart swells.’

‘When are Mommy, Daddy and Ben coming home?’ the kids asked expectantly, jumping up and down. Not until tomorrow night. The waiting began again. The donuts that were delivered helped……

It feels odd not to be waiting anymore,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment