Sunday, December 19, 2021

.....I wasn't going to

Yogis,
Last week I told myself I wasn’t going to do it. I wasn’t going to allow myself to get caught up in it. This year I was going to take Christmas preparation slow and easy. Let good enough be good enough. Relax……

But I couldn’t help myself.

It began when I noticed for the twentieth time that the chandelier hanging in the foyer was down to one working bulb. The other nineteen times I walked away and thought ‘who needs more than one bulb anyway.’ This time was different.

I went upstairs to the end of the hall which overlooks the foyer. I leaned over and grabbed the end of the chandelier, swung it toward me, held on for dear life and figured out how to get a bulb out so I could see what kind it needed. While holding it I couldn’t help but see the inch of dust in each bowl staring back at me. Shoot.

Once the new bulbs arrived the big ladder had to make its way out of the garage. Between the two of us we managed to remove the bowls, clean it all and get the lights working. Phew! But while up there I see the layer of dirt on the ledge beneath the windows which are yet another two feet up. I find myself texting a neighbor for one of those long handled dusters and as I wait for it I decide to clean the oven, of course.

The sweater comes off as I work up a sweat.

Walking down the upstairs hall I now see how filthy the tops of the beams are over the great room. Step ladder, rags and pan of water. Ready. Up and down….scoot the ladder….up and down….scoot the ladder. Run upstairs to see how it looks from above. An hour later they are now clean, Did I mention the pantry?

You get the idea.

My whole family is coming for Christmas and they haven’t been in the house for two years! With their impending arrival I once again begin to see my house through different eyes. The clutter that has accumulated since we have been virtually alone here throughout covid. Scuffs on the wall. Tired looking arrangements.

Would they care if there was dust in the rafters? No, of course not. But I love my home and owe her the gift of making her shine. Our homes tell a story of who we are. And if not now, when?

The long broom has arrived so time to get back on the ladder…..once we finish using it to change the bulbs in the outdoor deck spotlight.

I have dust bunnies in my hair,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment