Sunday, August 29, 2021

.....a joy circle

Yogis,
A quick review. Last year I volunteered to plant and tend a one block garden along our town’s main street. The garden bloomed and thrived until a miscommunication between a neighbor and the county had it mowed to the ground in one fell swoop on a beautiful summer day.

Fast forward to this year, and yes, I am a glutton for punishment. In May I agreed to jump back in with both feet. In the past four months I have grown flowers from seeds, added some new plants, trimmed, watered and deadheaded for at least a few hours every week. I check on it in the dark during my morning runs (once a policeman stopped to see what the heck I was doing) and say hello each time I drive by. I even arrange for someone to keep an eye on it when I am away. A labor of love.

This summer has been challenging. With the scorching heat and draught of July, the tired looking plants begged for water every couple days. Their area is free standing receiving full sun and fresh breezes so their care is always under a blazing sun. And while those conditions are optimal for creating a blanket of flowers, they also subject the plants to direct hits of August’s torrential rains. This week I have been down there three times, lifting them up and giving a pep talk to everyone who had been flattened to the ground.

The other day I ran into a friend who asked if I was still the one tending that area. I nodded and he asked if I am paid.

Now that’s funny! Paid money, no. So why do I do it? I thought about it for a moment and answered, ‘for the good of Cabin John’. It got me thinking.

Not sure I would say I have a gift for gardening, but I certainly have been given the gift of enjoying gardening. Of working with the plants to co-create something beautiful. And when we have a gift, we are meant to share it. That is what I am doing. An act of giving. Sharing  my gift with others.

Each time I am down there, drenched in sweat with dirt buried under my nails and my quads begging me to stop squatting, someone will inevitably walk by and compliment the garden or thank me for doing this work. A circle begins to form.

I was thinking about this while full body wrestling with the Black Eyed Susans trying to get them upright. Just then a woman came by and looked me in the eye and said thank you. ‘You’re welcome,’ I replied as I looked back down. But she continued. ‘No really…..I am sure not enough people thank you and this garden brings joy to so many and I want to be sure you know that.’ Wow!

What we give comes back, tenfold. Give what it is that you want to receive.

This is how the Universe works. I certainly don’t spend my free time carrying heavy buckets of water to the garden for the accolades. I do it because it brings me joy, and in turn it then brings others joy. The circle continues as they then share gratitude back, which brings me additional joy. Feeling good I buy a new plant to add, and the garden is happy.

There is also one more circle created. I plant and the bees and butterflies come. While I trim, they land and look my way. I take pictures and smile. Each of us participating in a joy circle.

What is it that you want? Give it……

Give and you shall receive,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment