Sunday, November 17, 2019

.....bones of the earth


Yogis
I spend most of my life on rocks.

My home was built in 1948 on top of an old quarry, which I am reminded of every time I stick my shovel in the dirt. Even though I will have planted a foot away, I still end up wrestling some massive buried rock until it finally breaks free, leaving me panting, sweaty and covered with dirt.  

I only have to walk down my path into the woods behind the house to view the beautiful old quarry face, now sprouting ferns and even small trees from its crevices. The creek bed that runs through is lined with broken rock and is home to quaint stone bridges and an old standing fireplace, reminiscent of a time gone by.  As I lie in bed, I am held by all this rock beneath me.
When I leave the house, it is often for my daily trips to the creek or river. Both also lined with rock. In fact, our entire town is mostly stone, with four quarries originally operating within not much more than a square mile. All the trails include rock scrambling and for those learning to rock climb there are even faces on which to practice with incredible views of the river. My feet know the ways of the rocks.

This week I watched as my feet walked across rocks, felt myself sitting on rocks, and noticed the multitude of rocks that I have found over time that now sit out on display in almost every room of the
house. Rocks ground me.

Luckily, I love rocks! I always have.

It was as I was sitting on a rock taking a picture of tree roots that my eyes became drawn to the rock bed I had just walked across. Every color, shape and size. Each unique. Each amazing when looked at from a different perspective.

In drum circle this week we were reminded by our teacher that rocks are the bones of Mother Earth. They hold the ancient knowledge. There are the grandmother and grandfather stones and are even the way we mark our own passing. Ah, the stories they could tell…….

Rocks are sturdy. Rocks are still. Rocks are quiet. Rocks are strong. They are dependable and solid. Many of the qualities we work to embed within ourselves. Rocks are our foundation.

Watch for the rocks in your life this week! I know there is at least one out there that will wave to you and be grateful for being noticed.

Written in stone,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment