Sunday, January 6, 2019

......we teach what we need


Yogis,

Many of you already know this about me. Every Friday night, after going to a hot yoga class where I get the chance to be told what to do, followed by a beer and light fare at a restaurant bar, I take a bath. This has been my faithful ritual for ten years now.

During that time my new yoga assistant, Phoebe, came into my life.  As I head up to light the candles and get the music going, she is typically out on her walk. For the first few years, when she returned, she would never come to check on me – which in her mind is her sole life’s purpose. It made her uncomfortable to come in there.

Eventually she began to come up, nudge the door open and come over to say hi. I always greet her with a big hello and begin reviewing what we did that day…… since she is one of those dogs who understands what is said. I then always add in one sentence that I know will make her uncomfortable. Friday night I mentioned the names of the dogs that we spent the last few days with.  With that, she does an about face, and without even a glance back she beelines out the door and into her bed. 

She doesn’t like to be uncomfortable……..
I laugh every time. Feeling safe with other dogs has been one of her biggest hurdles to overcome and is the one that we continue to work on together. But last night as she sauntered out with her ‘I have had enough’ look, I had an ‘Aha’ moment. I too hate to be in an uncomfortable situation. I too want to beeline for the door when discussions take that awkward turn.

So here I am teaching her to be ok with discomfort, adding in that one sentence on each conversation to gradually make the uncomfortable comfortable, when that is exactly what I need. Yes! We teach what it is that we most need.

Another example. This summer I introduced sitting on your toes to everyone and I have been teaching it and doing it daily. Oh my gosh, the difference in my feet! I had no idea how much I needed more opening in my feet.

Of course, I also teach where I have been and the wisdom I gathered there, but often I find that my classes are driven by what I need. We all do it. By teaching something we establish it in our own bodies and minds. 

Notice what you teach your friends, your kids, your pets and your coworkers. What are you trying to guide them toward, persuade them to believe, or want them to do? Do you perhaps crave more of that in your life? Does it feel easier to guide it in others than to do it yourself?  I know it does for me…...

So, I will continue to make her uncomfortable, one baby step at a time and in the process, I will learn to be brave. 

Om,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment