Sunday, September 23, 2018

......the tongue


Yogis,
Notice your tongue. Where is it in your mouth right now?  Is it stuck to the roof of the mouth? If so, release it.

Over the years I can’t say I have given much attention to my tongue. It’s surprising though since I have always known that my mouth and throat were my weak spots.  Everyone has them. That part of the body that is the most prone to injury and where your illnesses always seem to zero in on. Lungs, stomach, ears, heart….where is it for you?

For me growing up included many strep throat episodes, lingering coughs and more cavities than I can count.  And how can I forget the cold sores. As an adult there was a slight shift to post nasal drip from sinus infections and trips to the dentist for bridges and crowns.  Always the mouth……..
Then two years ago I ended up with an unexplained neck injury. There was no accident only a sudden severe pain that took me months to work through. All along my inner voice kept whispering that the tension in my jaw was somehow related.  But it took me another year to begin to watch my tongue, and when I did I discovered its favorite resting place to be clamped tightly to the roof of my mouth. 

The tongue is an extremely strong and flexible muscle. However, like all muscles, it too can become tense. Constricted. Rigid. And mine certainly had…….

Our tongue is related to the energy of water.  The cool calm receptive energy of the moon. It is a sensual organ and when relaxed, allows us to taste life.  Our fluidity, creativity and juiciness. When contracted, tension arrives, creeping into the jaw as well which feels anything but fluid. 

The natural position of our tongue should have the tip lightly resting on the back of the upper front teeth, with the edges softly resting on the roof of the mouth, and the remainder of the tongue dropped and relaxed.  I have a habit to unlearn, and it isn’t easy.

Several times a day I stop, notice my tongue and ask it to relax. Try it. Drop the lower jaw from the upper jaw. Release the tongue from the roof of the mouth. Notice how the root of the tongue (where it meets the throat) also drops, creating a feeling of spaciousness in the mouth.  And finally, if you bring your mind to back of the upper jaw you can visualize it melting.  Aaaahhhhhh……… Freedom.

It’s now been several months and I am actually having times when I check and find my tongue at ease!

This new space I am creating in the body is quite freeing.  Having a relaxed tongue, beside releasing jaw, neck and upper shoulder tension, also supposedly improves your singing voice.  Watch out Adele 😊

Lalalalalalala,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment