Sunday, July 19, 2015

.....life happens

Yogis,
Life happens……….

On Wednesday I was going through my normal daily routine.  Beautiful day outside so I thought I would take Phoebe for a lunch time walk to get away from the computer screen and out into the summer air. 

I went into the kitchen to get a drink and opened the cabinet under the sink to grab a new sponge and…….wow!!!  There had to be a ¾ of an inch of thick dirty soapy film covering the entire bottom of the double cabinet!!  Oh my lord!  Where did that come from and how the heck was I going to get it out of there!

I don’t know about you, but I have lived in this house for 8 years now and I don’t think I have given that cabinet a good cleaning since moving in.  You know…the kind of cleaning where you take everything out and wipe it down?  it’s too darn scary in there.  God only knows what is hidden in the recesses under the drains and pipes.  Old oven cleaners, car wash concentrate and dirty rags.  And to make matters worse, I had lined the cabinet with tin foil which was now cemented into the wood with dried soap.

My first instinct was to just shut the door and walk away.   But I got the nerve to take a few things out.   Each cleaning product I removed had a hardened soap substance on its bottom.  And cardboard boxes like brillo…… you can only imagine.  Some items were unrecognizable.  Action was needed.   So for the next hour I was down on my hands and knees literally scraping the tin foil off with my fingers nails and scooping out piles of thick gooey soap.  Only when the cabinet was completely empty and two trash bags had been filled did I discover the source.  A hole in the bottle that holds the soap for the dispenser on the sink.  Who knows how long it had been leaking.  Now I know why we were going through so much dish soap!
Life happens……

Often it forces you to do something that would probably never get done without intervention.  The car finally won’t start one morning when you are late for an appointment after ignoring a noise for two weeks.  The doctor tells you should start blood pressure medication after you have been saying for over a year that you were going to learn to meditate for stress.  You have been extremely unhappy in your job for 6 months and have known you should be looking for a new one, when one day you walk in to find HR in your office.  The long dead tree in the yard falls on the garage. 

The Universe is always showing us the way with gentle nudges and hints, but are we listening.   If not, it finally gives us the old “hit on the head”.  I am not saying that keeping my cabinet clean is in the same league as these others, but it did give me an hour to notice.  It just made me wonder what other corners and recesses in my life might be calling for attention.   Can I address them before they are coated in soap scum?

My cabinet has never been so clean,
SARAH

No comments:

Post a Comment