Yogis,
I can’t pinpoint when Nana Camp began but I believe this was at least year
five. I know it started with only my oldest grandson and then four years ago my
granddaughter joined in. A summer week spent at my house.
I have been seeing research pointing to benefits children
gain from relationships with grandparents. Better emotional stability, a sense
of unconditional love and deeper understanding and empathy for family roots. The
relationships can be live or even digital, but like any relationship, they must
be lovingly built.
I always feel like Nana Camp is fertile ground for this construction.
Last week was as always….. fun filled, busy, loud, messy, funny, exhausting and filled with an incredible amount of food. How do they eat so much? But what was new this year was the add of my four year old grandson Ben, who was deemed old enough to attend.
Here was my opportunity to make my way in.
We did it all. Swimming, creek visits, puppet show, aquarium,
carousel and lots of arts and crafts. We even slept out in tents again, with
not nearly enough actual sleep. Yet where a foundation begins to form is in the
quiet moments in between.
Sitting to build blocks. Reading him a book he picked from
the little free library (Spiderman, of course). Holding his hand while crossing
the street, hugging him when hurt and giving him a bath. Most importantly,
introducing him to my lavender head massages at bedtime.
He would lie on his back with bright blue eyes wide open to watch. By the third night he leapt into bed knowing what was coming. Deep sleep would follow.
By day four I felt him unconsciously lean up against me
while watching a show. Figuring out who I am and how I fit into his life.
I was cooking the same chicken I made for my own boys. As I got Ben out of the tub I told him he would smell the chicken. He looked at me and said, ‘Nana I like the smell of your chicken……Nana, I like all of the things in your house.’
Yes!
I’m in,
SARAH



No comments:
Post a Comment