Yogis,
Plants have more in common with us then we often give credit for. They breathe,
need water, pass down traits through DNA and have a communication network. They
also have preferences, as we do, to where they want to set down roots.
For humans, there are those who prefer to settle in the sunny
south while others are much more at home in the cold. Some want desert and some
feel naked without the cover of trees. Plants too have likes and dislikes and
as a gardener it sometimes takes them showing me time after time before I
finally get it!
Let’s take mullein as an example. I wanted mullein when I
formed my medicine wheel garden since she was used medicinally by native Americans.
I spread seeds. I transplanted seedlings from friends. Over and over without
luck.
This year one showed up with no effort or fanfare in my gravel driveway. She is a beauty. Clearly, she likes rocky soil. Got it.
The exact same thing happened with Queen Anne’s Lace. Once I
finally recognized her coming up each summer, I allowed a small patch to
develop in an area we don’t park. She reminds me of my NJ childhood. I remember
picking them to put in vases (some things never change……)
Then there are tomatoes. Several years ago I grew cherry tomatoes from seed. Every year since then I have multiple volunteers that come up around my garden to produce fruit. I never have to plant new ones. I even transplant one to a pot on my deck. Thank you, Universe!
One though always ends up surprising me somewhere in the
driveway. This year she selected a spot next to the recycle bin. She is looking quite happy and I expect to be
picking tomatoes soon.
Now that’s recycling.
Others, like forget-me-nots, prefer edges. I start them in the garden, but as they reseed, they inch closer and closer to the edge, eventually spilling over the rocks that make my border. Like wild spirited people, they don’t want to be contained.
Plants help me understand humans better too.
Om,
SARAH



No comments:
Post a Comment